All day Friday and Saturday, I’m volunteering at ROFLcon.
That’s “roll-on-the-floor-laughing” conference.
It’s a conference to celebrate web silliness and seriousness for a generation that pretty much grew up on it.
Examples of ROFLcon celebrities:
- the father-son stars of the YouTube phenomenon David after Dentist
- Joel Veitch, who made one of my favorite Internet animation videos of all time
- the guy who created 4chan
- a few of the all-time highest frontpagers at Digg
- the person who runs Stuff White People Like
- a keynote by the guy who invented Clippy, the animated paperclip Office assistant
and so on.
I’m liveblogging the event all day for the official web-site. I’m more interested in the academic types at the conference, so I’m especially excited about the two panels with danah boyd, one with Baratunde Thurston of The Onion (no, he’s not academic; but he’s smart and the panel is about race), and ROFLing the News.